Limited Mobility Doesn’t Have to Stop the Fun | Executive Care of North Dallas
We know that many seniors can deal with mobility issues, either temporary or permanent ones. Fortunately, there are still plenty of ways they can enjoy themselves.
With there being 47 million seniors living in the United States per the U.S. Census, it should come as no shock that mobility issues abound. It was revealed in 2014 that 40% of those 65 and older have at least one disability. Of those, some two-thirds admitted to having issues with walking or climbing.
Mobility issues aside, the fun can continue for your aging loved one.
Enjoyable Activities for Those With Limited Mobility
While health conditions like arthritis, strokes and other injuries might make moving around more difficult for your loved one, it doesn’t mean he or she needs to stay cooped up and bored at home.
The following five activities are just some of the many your loved one can enjoy:
- Scrapbooking. If your loved one has a plethora of old family photos stored away in boxes at home, a scrapbook could be just the ticket. Your loved one will get to take a trip through memory lane and you can join in as he or she relives those excellent moments.
- Quality time outside. Nothing can beat the mood booster that being outdoors can provide. With the summer months here, sitting outside in a shaded area can prove a boon for the soul. It’s important that too much time in the heat is not had though.
- Exercise options. Just because mobility may be limited, that doesn’t mean exercise stops being an option. Your loved one can enjoy chair exercises, chair yoga and even focus on his or her balance through walker exercises.
- Bingo. Don’t knock the activity, as it is an excellent way for your loved one to get out, enjoy a fun game and spend time with his or her friends. Socialization is always a beneficial aspect!
- Embracing the creative side. It is known that depression and anxiety can be minimized by participating in creative activities like painting, drawing, crafts and sculpting. Fun, creative and engaging—you can’t go wrong there!
Mobility issues do not have to keep your loved one trapped at home, and thanks to ideas like those listed above, he or she can still find plenty of enjoyment out of life!
Know that Executive Care of North Dallas is always ready to step in and help make sure your loved one is leading the life he or she wants and deserves, right in the comfort of home. Don’t hesitate to contact us to learn more about our in-home care services.